I came across this recipe on a cooks.com after following a Pinterest Pin to the site for another recipe. I thought it sounded right up my husband’s ally, so I decided to give it a shot! It was super easy, and took about 30 minutes total, and there wasn’t a bite left when we were done. Next time i make this I’m definitely going to make two so we have one for leftovers later in the week.
Here’s the recipe!
- 1 can crescent rolls
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion, OR 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/3 cup chopped dill pickle slices
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle juice
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups shredded American cheese, divided (I used cheddar!)
1) Preheat your oven to 375
2) Unroll crescent rolls and press into the bottom and up the sides of an 8 inch pie pan. Here, I used an 8 inch cake pan because I don’t own a pie pan. Worked just fine.
3) Cook ground beef in a skillet until browned. Drain well. Put back on heat and stir in onion, chopped pickle, ketchup, and mustard.
4) Sprinkle with flour and add pickle juice and milk. Cook and stir until thickened.
5) Remove from heat and add 1 cup of shredded cheese.
6) Pour into the prepared crust and bake for 15 minutes, or until edges of crust are golden brown.
7) Remove from heat and top with remaining cup of cheese, let stand until cheese melts, then you can garnish it with a slice of pickle, some mustard, and some ketchup. (It smelled so good that I totally forgot to garnish it and we just dug in.)
Yields: 2-4 servings.
What I love about this recipe is that it is truly versatile. You can add some chopped bacon, mushrooms, use swiss or cheddar cheese instead of american, top it with onion straws, or really do anything you would do to an actual burger. You can also serve it with some fries or maybe some chopped baked potatoes?